The Skilled Independent Visa is a permanent visa under SkillSelect for applicants who reached sixty (60) points under the points test system. Successful applicants and holders of a 189-skilled independent visa become permanent residents of Australia.


This visa is for invited workers and New Zealand citizens with skills we need, to live and work permanently anywhere in Australia.


Australian permanent residents are entitled to live, work, and study in Australia permanently. Additional benefits of Australian permanent residence include access to government-subsidised healthcare (Medicare), certain social security benefits and the ability to apply for Australian citizenship. 




To be eligible for this kind of visa, the following are essential:

•The applicant’s degree and occupation are on the current List of Occupations prescribed by the Department of Home Affairs (formerly DIBP) which is on Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills (MLTSSL).

•The applicant must have obtained favourable skills assessment by the prescribed assessing authority.

•The applicant must submit his/ her Expression of Interest (EOI) online and received an invitation to apply from the Department.

•The applicant must have a minimum score of at least 6 in International English Language Testing System(IELTS) or Competent English on each of the 4 test components (reading, writing, listening, speaking). 

•The applicant must be at least forty-five (45) years old at the time of application to the Department.


With this visa, you can

  • stay in Australia permanently
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
  • sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
  • travel to and from Australia for 5 years
  • if eligible, become an Australian citizen

How long you can stay

This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely. The visa has a travel component that expires 5 years after the date of visa grant.

You become a permanent resident on the day we grant the visa.

For citizenship purposes, your permanent residence starts on the day:

  • we grant the visa if you are in Australia
  • you enter Australia on this visa if you are outside Australia
Scroll to Top